2010/05/03

20100422

One of the exhibitions of one’s tolerance to other cultures is possibly not to deny the whole character of people (or cultures) you don’t like. This attitude means that you respect their customs even if you don’t like it. I believe someone who is tolerant to other cultures doesn’t consider different customs *inferior*, but he/she just recognize that customs are different and possibly *unpleasant*.

There is a big difference between “inferior” and “unpleasant.” “Unpleasant” is merely one’s preference, but by saying “inferior,” you DENY different customs. That is why those who look down on others with different customs can never be an international engineer (for example), I believe.

I saw a movie called “L'Auberge espagnole.” The main character was a French student who studies in Spain. He appeared excessively sad for me, because Spain is adjacent to France, and the duration was just half a year. On the other hand, as for me, I am a Japanese and stay in Europe for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment