2010/09/01

a rough description of my internship

It has passed a month since my internship at a research center began. Perhaps the biggest task I dealt with the past month was to get accustomed to this new environment. That means I have done nothing as output. C'est la vie. = The life is like that.


mug cup with Chinese characters on my desk 


First, what is surprising, even to myself, is that I speak only French at work. Because I had just 4 month to learn French, I expected I would use English to compensate for my poor French. However, I don't need help of English except for the technical terms. 


My internship really resembles a research at university. The motif is on "a new manufacturing process of substance A, utilising a machine B with a conventional process C." A, B, and C are for things that I had better hide for confidentiality.


I spend the month in studying about the motif, to learn the basis of the research and understand its objective. This was largely comprised of:
---application and usage of the substance A
---usage of machine B in combination with process C
---other manufacturing processes of substance A


I also started few experiments. But very few. I'm looking forward to more of them in the comming month,


My supervisor is a Ph.D. researcher. We have discussions on my study a few times a week. It is kind of him to offer me occasions of discussion, without my asking. Additionally, I ask him to discuss summaries of what I have learned about once a week.


The other colleagues are also kind and I appreciate some of them talk to me so friendly. Especially the technicians there are real funny guys! They LOVE jokes. I'm often make fun of. For example, they teach me a nasty word and make me say that to a female technician... This is something universal, isn't it?? :)


That's it.
This is rather a translation of original essay I wrote in Japanese , so I didn't have to think what or how I write. But, even if that's the case, it took much time... I hope it will take less and less time in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment